Cycling is wonderful in the low mountains of the Marina Alta (roughly the area between Calpe, Denia and Alcoy). Villa Arbolada has three MTB bikes and a roadbike available. These bikes are suitable for the non-demanding cyclist who likes to stay on the tarmac. They can be used for restaurant visits or modest (family) trips. For the junior enthusiast we also have a 24-inch bike with gears, but beware: the final slope to the villa is very steep! For serious cycling, you can rent carbon racing bikes, MTB’s, or electric city/mtb/race bikes in Jalon at AltaBikeRental or VeloSol, or from Xabias Bike in Javea. They can deliver in Alcalali upon request, but it is strongly advised to book in advance. Full-suspension MTB’s can be rent in Denia from Kunz. Again, making reservations in advance is necessary.
The Mountainbike Center in Parcent has already set up some MTB routes (from very light to very heavy) in and around the Jalon Valley. These routes can also be found in the leaflet in our portfolio which is located in the villa. For planning routes yourself, I recommend Komoot. Free app and website, flexible in use and once you have the app you can also download my routes below. Below my favorite trip (suitable for both mtb and road bike). But without that Cumbre d’Alcalali, that’s only fun for the real die-hards… The roundtrip can also be ridden the other way around, then the climb (from Castell) is a little heavier. Note: From the Coll de Rates you can see Villa Arbolada!
Below are even more beautiful routes, with a link to Komoot. Everything about now completely asphalted roads, and mostly very quiet but good roads. The further you stay off the coast the quieter it is.
- Murla-Laguar (19 km, 360 hm) – Just test the calves
- Lliber – Monte Pego (30 km, 450 hm) – Easy route for the (nearly) the whole family
- Serra de Bernia (42 km, 700 hm) – Once above delicious paella food at Refugio Vista Bernia
- Coll de Rates – Crueta round (45 km, 940 hm) – Nice introduction to the area, relaxed climb
- Vall d’Ebo (50 km, 1000 hm) – Climbing from Pego, then through the valley
- Quatretondeta (73 km, 1200 hm) – Quiet, beautiful interior but occasionally steep
- Vall d’Ebo y Vall de Laguar shortened (clockwise, 65 km, 1200 hm) – Three valleys, shorter version
- Vall d’Ebo y Vall de Laguar (clockwise, 79 km, 1400 hm) – The best of the 3 valleys
- Vall de Laguar y Vall d’Ebo (anti-clockwise, 79 km, 1400 hm)
- Quatretondeta (85 km, 1500 hm) – Quiet, beautiful interior but nowhere flat
- Guadelest – Gorga circuit (98km, 2100 hm) – For those who really want to go all-out… (Guadelest is busy)
You can already view more cycle routes in the area (such as the MTB variant below) via my page on Routeyou. Do you know any nice bike routes yourself, or good tips? Please Let us know!
Even more tips at Marina Alta-Marc’s Bike site. Finally, some routes and profiles in the slideshows below.